According to a recent survey from CA, 55% percent of US businesses expect to increase usage of the cloud to meet business continuity objectives. According to the study, all of the 300 businesses surveyed experienced some type of data loss event in the past year and the vast majority admit their data was inadequately protected.
While backing up data regularly is a key part of mitigating data loss, many organizations choose to replicate their data in real-time to a secondary location to reduce the window for data loss beyond just daily backups. With real-time data replication, organizations can achieving lower recovery point objectives (RPOs) that with backup alone.
Until recently, maintaining a live, real-time copy of business data for disaster recovery meant replicating to a secondary data storage system off-site. Whether housed in a secondary company location or a dedicated colocation facility, it required a separate expenses for data storage, network infrastructure, data center space and operations. Costs aside, getting set up is a time and administratively intensive process.
Wouldn’t it be better if replication to a remote site were as easy as plugging in an on-premise appliance that automatically provisions a real-time copy at a secondary data center or multiple data centers?
Cloud storage gateways do just that, enabling real-time copies of data in the cloud, without requiring secondary infrastructure. Only one storage appliance needs to be managed on-premise which provisions pay-as-you-go remote storage, offering real-time replication, without the off-site infrastructure expenses and without the maintenance headaches.
More sophisticated storage gateways like CloudArray, provide the utmost flexibility in replicating data to the cloud by functioning both as
- a storage array, maintaining a local copy of data onboard that is asynchronously replicated to the cloud, or
- as a target for existing replication software, maintaining only a small local cache and full copy of data in the cloud
With access to either or both solutions, organizations can leverage their existing investment in replication software and transition new deployments to a breed of storage that auto-replicates all data to the cloud.
If you are one of the 55% of businesses looking to use the cloud to meet business continuity objectives, consider a cloud storage gateway. If you fall in the other 45%, consider examining a better way to deploy real-time replication of your data, without the offsite costs and maintenance you are used to — i.e. consider the cloud.